Friday, December 31, 2010

Problems Installing Drupal 6.19 On GoDaddy

The other day I decided to install Drupal so I could see how it worked. I don’t have my own internet server and I didn’t want to go through the hassle of installing a local copy on my Windows Vista system using a Windows web server application like XAMPP or WAMP, so I decided to use one of my GoDaddy Linux hosting accounts instead

The installation procedure seemed simple enough, but I did run into a couple of snags that took a little of research and trial and error to solve.

When I went to the appropriate url to begin the actual Drupal setup on the GoDaddy server, I got a host error message instead of the Drupal installation script. Apparently, the GoDaddy install (https://hostingconnection.godaddy.com/Application/Drupal.aspx) did not load the /drupal/sites/default/default_settings.php file. I decided to download the Drupal files as though I was going to install the application on my desktop (http://drupal.org/project/drupal) so that I could try to manually copy the default_settings.php file to GoDaddy, but I didn’t realize that the GoDaddy install would not automatically grant me the permissions required to work with the /drupal/sites/default folder on the GoDaddy site.

After checking around for some online help for setting folder/file permissions in GoDaddy, I discovered that I had to go to the Control Center for my Linux hosting.  I tried adding full permissions but this was not allowed.  Finally, I decided to just add the Read and Execute permissions which then allowed me to add the write permission.  I was then able to copy the /drupal/sites/default/default_settings.php from my newly-downloaded Drupal files to the default folder in my GoDaddy database.

I still had one more task to perform before the installation script would run all the way through (this was not clear to me in the instructions).  Even though I found my GoDaddy MySQL user and database names (under products/hosting/databases/MySQL/Edit/View Details, it let me know that I had the right information, but it still didn’t work.  I finally discovered that I had to select the “Advanced” option ( http://drupal.org/documentation/install/run-script ) and change the host from “http://localhost” to the GoDaddy MySQL database path on the GoDaddy server.

Once I entered this information I was able to access the Drupal installation script on my site and I was able to continue.  After I completed this I removed the Write permission through the GoDaddy Control Center (see above).



3 comments:

  1. hy sob,, great job, i want to learn progaming language,
    please yo can help me??

    ReplyDelete
  2. What programming language are you interested in?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reading this kind of article always great for knowledge and i get it huge information here.web hosting provider

    ReplyDelete