Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Having Trouble Scanning From An HP All-In-One?

Can’t seem to use the control panel scan button to initiate a scan to you HP all-in-one?  Make sure you download and install the full printer installation package.

The other day I installed the software for an HP Officejet 6500 E709N on my laptop.  The wireless printing worked just fine, but when I tried to initiate a scan from the control panel on the all-in-one, the unit would not acknowledge my laptop as an attached device. 

When I tried to do this, I kept getting the following error: 'No Scan Options'.  I was a little perplexed since I was able to print, so I looked for the scanner under “Control Panel/Scanners and Cameras”.  I was able to communicate with the E709N from the laptop using the icon I found, but I could still not “see” the laptop from the scanner.

Online research informed me that I could try to initiate a scan from Microsoft Paint (I did not know one could scan from Paint – it works!), but I wanted to be able to initiate the scan from the all-in-one.  A little more digging around provided me with the final answer.  I had downloaded an installed only the basic drivers, but I really needed to install the full package so that I would have the necessary HP Solution Center software - http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02450835&cc=us&lc=en&dl#N74

I downloaded and installed the full package.  The installation procedure prompted me to uninstall the previous software and required me to re-boot and start the installation process a second time, but I am now up and running.  Now I need to figure out how to be able to use the Solution Center application with multiple HP devices – initial research has not been promising.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment